Can Feminists Wear Lipgloss?

I'm your average teenage girl, who gets withdrawl symptons from her lipgloss, but wants to be a feminist.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Boys 'n' their toys...But what about girls?

Now, when I was six, I never had any barbies or Baby Born, because my mum is seriously anti. But, all my friends had Barbie and her many outfits, and Baby Born who needed her bottle. While the boys had Hot Wheels and Gameboys. OK, the girls had Gameboys too, but they only played stupid girly games on them. Um, where was I? Oh yeah. So, even from the age of six, we had it in our head that Barbie was to sit around all day shopping, while boys had to go and fix things with their mini toy tool kits.
Hmmm, can anyone see where I'm going with this...?
Now, Barbie is a feminists nightmare. She goes shopping, waits around for some dumb prince in her movies, and seemingly doesn't have a job. And then there were those toy babies. So, basically, according to the toys we have, we're supposed to live off Ken, then stay home and give baby a bath.
Wow, such a...scintilating existence.
Wow, wonder if the Pussycat Dolls had Barbies?
Nah.

I think Barbie should go shopping, but not run up credit card debt, be able to have a sucessful career and have her lipgloss.
I also think that spy books, vampire books, etc. should not be "boys books". And I wish people would stop saying that the above things are for boys.
'Cause Barbie wants to save the world.

1 Wore Lipgloss:

Wore Lipgloss Blogger Anna said...

This is definitely one of your best blogs! I totally agree. I was a tomboy when I was younger. I loved gameboy (not girly games), lego, pokemon, science, and spy books.

Right now I am studying world history, and the things that the women had to go through enrage me. Today, there are still things that degrade women, so I applaud your blog.

Wore Lipgloss11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home